Aloe Vera is known to be an incredible miraculous plant which is full of nutritional benefits and has an amazing positive effect on skin, hair and health. Because of its healing and medicinal properties it has been used for centuries world wide.
Ancient Egyptians called Aloe vera, “The plant of immortality“
Aloe Vera contains over 200 active components including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, polysaccharides, and fatty acids.
Due to its several uses and benefits to the skin and hair, aloe vera has become more popular and used as a staple ingredient in many beauty and skin care products. Different parts of the plant are used for different purposes and can be used for internal and external applications.No wonder it’s been used for such a wide range of beauty and health remedies all around the globe.
Aloe leaf secretes a clear gel like substance from its inner part which when broken off, can be applied topically to the skin or can be consumed orally.Aloe Vera extracts can also be used in food and energy drinks.
I love to use aloe vera on my skin, hair and body. I use its fresh gel* as a moisturiser on my face and drink aloe vera juice for its maximum benefits to my body.
For my hair, i apply the fresh aloe vera gel on to my hair as a conditioner and then rinse it with normal water. It leaves my hair, really soft and smooth.
(*I cut a piece of aloe about 1 inch long, open up the skin and take out the clear inner gel of the plant )
But if you do not have access to a fresh plant, you can always buy it outside. It is sold in the form of powder, gel and juice. Its easily available at registered Patanjali stores in India and also online at their official website patanjaliayurved.
The uses and benefits of aloe vera are many. Lets look at the top eight of them here :
1) Skin care :
- Aloe vera gel hydrates and moisturizes the skin very well. Therefore it can be used in all weathers to prevent dry and patchy skin.
- Aloe vera helps to keep the skin hydrated and also improves the skin’s elasticity, therefore minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Once applied, it releases natural vitamins and enzymes on the skin to produce a deep moisturizing effect that helps to treat and restore its pH balance.
- Drinking aloe vera juice supplies body with essential nutrients which helps to produce and maintain healthy skin. Aloe vera helps to remove dead cells and replenishes it with new ones, giving the skin a radiant glow.
2) Boosts Immunity :
- Aloe Vera is full of antioxidants, also known as natural immunity enhancers, which helps to fight free radicals (which are responsible in causing several diseases and ailments) in the body.
- Consuming aloe vera juice regularly boosts immunity in the body and prevents ageing.
3) Aids in digestion :
- Aloe Vera introduces necessary bacteria in to the gut which ensures healthy bowel movement. Thus cleanses the system and aids in digestion.
- It helps prevent acidity, inflammation and intestinal ulcers. Aloe vera has a soothing effect on the stomach walls and relieves stomach ache.
- Aloe Vera’s anti-inflammatory property helps to reduce acne. Its juice or gel can be applied directly on the skin to cure acne.
- It reduces inflammation and redness of the skin. It also prevents the outburst of acne and pimples
5) Promotes healthy hair growth :
- Aloe vera contains a good amount of protein which is very important for maintaining good health of hair. It does not just restores the natural beauty of the hair but also reinforces the outer layer of the hair which gives them a more manageable texture.
- It softens and rejuvenates the scalp by flushing out the dirt particles and bacteria hence promoting a healthy hair growth.
6) Treats sun burns and tanning :
- We all use powerful sunscreen lotions and creams to prevent harmful sun rays from damaging our skin. But still we get affected and tanned from the heat and the sun.
- Aloe Vera gel is highly beneficial for treating sun burns. It is an excellent cooling agent. Applying fresh gel on affected skin everyday gives immediate results. It reduces the pain and the redness of the skin and forms a protective layer over it which reduces further damage.
- Aloe vera contains plant steroids which help in reducing inflammation naturally. Drinking aloe vera juice regularly eases swollen and painful joints and reduces the stiffness of bones.
- It is excellent for treating scars, burns and cuts. It also soothes wound or cuts and fights bacteria that are produced because of the wounds. The cooling effect of the plant helps to regenerate new cells and helps in rebuilding the damaged tissue.
- The anti-allergic property of aloe vera is useful in the treatment of various skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis, itchy skin and so many more. It is helpful in curing blisters, insect bites and other allergic reactions as well.