When i was introduced to the very first cup of Green tea, believe me it was not a love at first sip :). But i had it because i was told that its good for me. And to be honest, its the real reason i am still a green tea drinker and strongly believe that it helps me keeping my weight on check and keeps my skin fresh and glow.
Green tea has been used as a medicine for thousands of years in China where it originated but had been widely used throughout Asia and recently has become relatively popular in the west where Black tea has been the traditionally consumed tea. The difference between the two is the minimal oxidation of green tea during processing which results in retaining the maximum amount of antioxidants, polyphenols like flavonoids and catechins and nutrients that have powerful effect on the body from weight loss to lowering risk of cancer.
Its difficult to quote down all of the incredible benefits of green tea but i will still mention the few of them :
1) Weight loss : It apparently increases the metabolism hence increases the rate at which your body turns food into calories. and keeps your weight in check.
2) Blood pressure and cholesterol : It helps in regulating blood pressure, reduces bad cholesterol and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
3) Anti bacterial and anti viral : The “catechin” present in the green tea can kill the bacteria and inhibit viruses, potentially lowering risk of infections.
4) Diabetes : Studies show that green tea can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar level.
5)Cancer and cardiovascular diseases : Green tea has powerful antioxidants that may protect against cancer. Multiple studies show that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of various types of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
6)Lowers risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s :Multiple studies show that the Catechin compound present in green tea can have various protective effects on neurons and may reduce the risk of both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, the two most common neuro degenerative disorders.
7) Skin care : it may prevent skin damage and wrinkling because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
8) Long Life : Of course Death is Inevitable ! However because its lowers risk of chronic diseases like Cancer, prevents infections, regulates blood pressure and so much more, it kind of makes sense it could help you live long :).
(Photo credit: freedigitalphoto)